How to apply
Admission to the Sixth Form is at the absolute discretion of the School.
We welcome applications to join our Sixth Form. Applications for entry into our Sixth Form in September 2018 should be submitted before Friday 23rd February 2018.
STEP 1 - Complete the main LGS and Sixth Form application forms and return to Admissions along with:
- The £75 registration
- A copy of the applicant's birth certificate
STEP 2 - The application will then be acknowledged and then the applicant will be invited to do the following:
- Send us a recent report from your child’s present school
- Send us evidence of likely GCSE performance e.g. Mock exam results
- Attend a Selection Day on Friday 9th March 2018
The applicant will then either:
- Be offered an unconditional place
- Be offered a conditional place (only confirmed on receipt of his/her GCSE results in August)
- Not offered a place
STEP 3 - If the applicant is offered an unconditional or conditional place, he/she will be invited to attend the Sixth Form inductions at the end of June 2018 and at the start of September 2018.
Our Expectations of Sixth Form Students
The position of Leicester Grammar School as one of the top co-educational day schools in the country is based to a large extent on the achievements of its Sixth Form Students. We aim to prepare our students to be independent, free-thinking, highly qualified individuals, and confident in their ability to make their chosen way in the world.
We expect a great deal from our Sixth Form students in terms of their commitment to School activities and academic studies. In return we are only too happy to be fully engaged by them in the team effort necessary to achieve the highest standards.
The aim of the Grammar School is excellence. We will normally expect to admit an applicant if he or she demonstrates all of the following:
- Has chosen a subject combination that is both coherent and realistic considering achievements at GCSE
- Demonstrates a positive attitude to study, the School and all that is has to offer
- Has attained a minimum of three GCSEs at Grade 7 or better accompanied by a minimum of three further GCSEs at Grade 6 or better
During the ‘mixed economy’ years when students may receive a combination of new style 9 – 1 Grades along with A* – G grades, the School will consider Grades A*, A and B at par with Grades 8, 7 and 6 respectively. The School considers Grades attained in GCSE equivalent courses, such as IGCSEs, at par with their GCSE equivalents.
Sir Thomas White Trust Scholarship
Leicester Grammar School Trust is pleased to offer a full scholarship for students hoping to join the Sixth Form at Leicester Grammar School. The funding for this is from the Sir Thomas White Trust and covers the full fee for both Sixth Form years.
The conditions are:
- You should expect to achieve 9 A* and A grades at GCSE level (at par with Grades 8 and 7) with ideally most at A*
- You should be currently educated in a state school
- Your family should earn less than £35,000 and this can be means tested on application
- You will be interviewed by representatives of the Sir Thomas White Trust who make the final selection. To convince the interviewing panel you will need to show ambition and drive to succeed
Application is through the normal Grammar School application form with a covering letter to explain why you should be considered for the award.